Thursday, July 5, 2012

The 4th of July


The 4th of July is a wonderful day for two reasons:

1) It's the day that I married my best friend in the whole world and became Mrs. Ryan Volk.
2) It's the epitome of summer, my absolute favorite time of year.

Ever since I was a kid I've loved the 4th of July. So it's only appropriate that now I get to celebrate my anniversary on one of my favorite days.

The last 4 years we've been traveling and/or going to weddings or other family events over the 4th, but this year we were able to spend the holiday at home. We had a blast! We had cinnamon rolls and bacon for breakfast (you're probably starting to see a pattern with us, this is definitely becoming our special occasion breakfast), and then we went to the kids bike parade in our neighborhood.

Quick side note on the bike parade: We used to do this in our neighborhood when I was a kid. My mom was the brain child behind the whole thing and coordinated it. We all decorated our bikes with red, white and blue and would ride around the neighborhood. It was so fun. Well, as you know, we moved into a new neighborhood last summer. We were traveling over the 4th so I had no idea what "went down" here for the 4th. I was talking to a couple of my neighbors last week and discovered that the neighborhood does nothing. SAD! There are a million kids that live here, so they should do SOMETHING fun, right? Well, like mother like daughter, I suggested we organize a bike parade. We made flyer's and signs and posted them around the neighborhood, and voila, a few days later we rocked it! We had a much better turn out than I was expecting. Ok, now back to our day.

Cameron has a couple little friends in our neighborhood who she LOVES playing with so she had a great time at the bike parade. Plus, someone brought Popsicles for all the kids to eat at the end, so she was pretty much in heaven.












After the parade we went to the park for awhile before heading home for lunch and naps.





We decided to stay close to home for the rest of the day and ended up getting together with a couple of our neighbors for dinner after the girls woke up from their naps. We were planning on going to the fireworks in town afterwards, but they were canceled because of all the wildfires. I was pretty bummed that they were canceled, I was really looking forward to taking the girls. But it's totally understandable considering the craziness of the Colorado fire situation right now.







Anytime is a good time for a dance party...



As for our anniversary. Ryan and I have now been married for 6 years! We watched part of our wedding video yesterday afternoon and it's just so funny to see how much we've changed since then. We were babies, I feel like I barely knew him then. But one thing that was true on July 4, 2006 and is still true today: I am so blessed to be married to Ryan Volk. He is a wonderful man, he is a hard worker and he strives daily to be the man God created him to be. I love you Ryan! 


No comments: