Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Our Sick Little Girl :(

Cameron hasn't been feeling very well the last day or so...poor little girl. It all started yesterday afternoon. I was holding her after she finished eating and the next thing I knew there was throw up all over the place. Poor thing, she was a mess. I put her straight in the tub got her cleaned up, cleaned up the couch where we had been sitting, cleaned up myself and put new clothes on. About 45 minutes later we got to go through the whole thing again.

Cameron was pretty mellow for the rest of the evening, which is very unlike her. Usually she is really busy investigating everything around her, but she was just sitting on my lap hanging out. I put her to bed at about 9:00 pm, which is a little later than usual, but I wanted to keep her up and give her some ice cubes to suck on so she got some liquids in her body.

I crawled into bed at about 11:00 pm, then decided I should go in and check on Cameron to make sure she was doing okay. When I walked in she was wrestling around a little bit so I found her pacifier and gave it to her. The next thing I knew there was throw up all over the place again. Same drill as before, clean everyone up, get new jammies on Cameron and new sheets on her mattress. Once we got everything cleaned up I sat and rocked her to sleep again. When she was asleep I laid her down...and you can guess what happened next, she threw up again, for the fourth time.

By this time we were starting to get a little worried so I called Children's Hospital and talked to a nurse. She asked me a whole bunch of questions. When I told her that Cameron hadn't had a wet diaper in 8-12 hours she told me I should take her into the ER to be seen by a doctor because she could be getting dehydrated.

Long story short (sort of), Cameron and I packed up and headed over to Longmont United Hospital. As I was driving over there I kept thinking that the last time I was driving there in the middle of the night I was having contractions. Anyway, the doctor gave her something that settled her stomach so she could keep some food down. They said that she wasn't too dehydrated, so as long as she was keeping her food down she should be okay. The doctor wasn't really sure what had caused the vomiting. He said it could have been a number of things—stomach bug, teething, bad food—sometimes you just never know. We got home at about 2:30 am and crashed.

Today Cameron seems to be doing much better. She still doesn't have a very big appetite, but I figure that is probably pretty normal. It's just so horrible to watch your little kiddo being sick. It breaks your heart.

So, I've now had my first mommy trip to the emergency room. Sorry if that was more than you wanted to know. I'm just thankful that everything turned out okay and that Cameron seems to be doing fine now. Thank you Jesus!

This video was from when I went in to get Cameron up from her nap yesterday morning (before she got sick). It's so fun to go in and get her when she wakes up because she is always so happy and excited to see us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh poor little Cameron. no fun. Glad she's doing better. It's frustraing when the "why"s aren't answered, right?
We did our first ER trip probably around her age too (bad momma, can't remember how old he was). Sean had a high, high fever...turns out he had double ear infections, but he wasn't complaining!
Happy Weekend! and Sic 'em!!