Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bursitis and Bubbles

Last weekend Ryan was supposed to ride in the Courage Classic, a three day bike ride up in the mountains that raises money for Children's Hospital. He left on Friday night and was really excited to spend the weekend enjoying the nice weather and getting some quality time in the saddle (do you like how cool I sound with my "cyclist talk"? HA!).

Well, on the way up his knee started to swell up and by the time he was done with dinner that night he had a full blown infection—I'm talking swollen knee, fever, chills, the works. He decided to stay the night to see how he felt the next day hoping that he would be feeling better so he could at least participate in part of the bike ride. The next morning he was worse so he decided that he better come home.

He stopped at urgent care on his way home and they told him he had knee bursitis, an infection of a bursa sac in his knee joint. They gave him some heavy duty antibiotics and told him to stay off it for awhile.

He is finally starting to feel better, but I'm guessing it's still going to be a few more days until he gets back to 100%.

So basically instead of doing this...


He got to do this all weekend...


Poor guy.

This is what his knee looked like, and this was after a couple doses of antibiotics had already started working their magic. (The blue line is where the doctor marked his swelling the night he went into the urgent care.)


I already looked up some other bike rides that are happening in the area the rest of the summer, so I'm hoping that he'll be able to participate in one of those. While none of them will be quite like this one that he missed, I'm sure he'll still enjoy getting out and participating.

Cameron and I tried to stay out Ryan's way as much as possible so that he could rest and get better. We ended up spending some quality time outside playing with bubbles, which Cameron liked a lot! (Although half the time I was trying to stop her from eating the bubbles! Crazy kid.)




We even got the bubble machine out one day, which was really cool!


A couple other fun things we did this week, Tuesday night we went to concert in the park. It was very cool. There was plenty of room for Cameron to run wild, so that was great—for her and for us—and we got to meet up with some friends which was nice too. I just wish we had started going earlier in the summer, this was the last concert in the park for the year. Here  is a picture of Cameron and two of the other kiddos we met up with there.


We also went to the zoo this morning, which again Cameron loved because she could run around all over the place and check out all the animal exhibits. She especially liked the tropical exhibit where they have a lot of fish and reptiles.



Well, that's the latest from the Volk household. Enjoy the rest of your week!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cute kids! I'm also a very active guy, I play tennis since college and I was diagnosed with bursitis when I was in college. I stopped from playing for about 2 years, which is very depressing. I tried everything I can to get my old self back. I tried a lot of medications but only stem cell therapy gave me positive results. I had a stem cell treatment with my doctor, Dr Grossman, an orthopedic surgeon. I hope your husband will find the best treatment for himself too. :)