Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Little Rock 'N Roll

Ryan dropped me off at the airport Sunday morning for my first solo getaway in a long time. I went to Memphis for 4 days for a work meeting and left Ryan and Cameron behind to fend for themselves. I was sad to leave, but I managed to get away without any tears (I know, I know, it's pathetic that I almost cried. I think that just comes with being a mom though).

When I got off the airplane I was greeted by tornado sirens, which was honestly kind of scary. The strangest thing was no one seemed to even notice that they were going off. People were just walking around outside like it was nothing. We eventually called the hotel lobby to ask if we were supposed to actually do anything about the sirens. They told us that they would sound the fire alarm if anything got really bad.  Luckily, the crazy weather passed without causing any problems to the Memphis area.

We stayed at The Peabody Hotel. I don't know if you're familiar with it or not, but they are famous for the ducks that swim around in the hotel lobby fountain. Every day at 11am they march the ducks down the elevator and into the fountain, and then at 5pm they march back up to their rooms on the top floor of the hotel. It's actually kind of a kick to see the ducks waddling around. It's amazing what will draw a crowd!

 The duckies

And another ducky

The meeting was scheduled Monday through Wednesday, and we managed to get some fun into those three days as well. On Monday night our group visited the Rock 'N Soul Museum. It showed a lot of the history of Rock and Roll which was pretty interesting. It was funny because most of it was before my time, but a lot of the people remembered it all happening.

 Rock 'N Soul Museum

 Where it all began...

Fancy guitars signed by famous people :)

Beale Street, (kind of like the Bourbon Street of Memphis)

Tuesday we went to Graceland and the Car Museum with a bunch of Elvis' cars. This was my personal favorite. I love walking through places like that and thinking about the history that took place there. The Graceland mansion was actually not as big as I was expecting. But the decorating definitely lived up to my expectations—nice and wild! 

The mansion

The piano room/living room

The dining room

The kitchen

The TV room

The jungle room

The racquetball court

A whole bunch of his gold and platinum records

Elvis himself

And, of course, the Pink Cadillac

From what I've been told, Ryan and Cameron survived alright at home by themselves! I had a few friends and my sister help watch Cameron while Ryan was at work during the day. I was so thankful that they were able to help out. It made everything much easier for us. They made sure to keep me posted via photos and videos throughout the week, which was awesome!

 Breakfast Monday morning

 A little time hanging out in the school bus

On a walk with Aunt Jenna

All and all, the week was a success. Although I think we were all ready to get back to "normal" when I got home. I know I was definitely ready to come home and see my honey and my little girl!

No comments: