Monday, March 22, 2010

Health Care

When I set up this blog I intended to use it solely to keep everyone updated on our family. But I feel so strongly about the negative impact that the newly passed health care bill is going to have on our country that I wanted to take a quick detour from the family updates and share my thoughts.

My comments are based on my understanding of the bill, and since it is over 2000 pages long and I haven't actually read it word for word, I can't promise that I've interpreted everything correctly. So I apologize for any statements that are inaccurate. But as you read through the rest of this post keep in mind, you probably haven't read the 2000+ page document and don't fully understand the bill either. I wonder if the members of House and Senate have actually read it and fully understand its impact?

1) This bill includes funding for abortion. How on earth is it okay to include something like abortion in a national health care plan? The language of the bill was changed so that federal funds are restricted from being used to pay for most abortions - which is good - but there is an exception for pregnancy's resulting from rape and incest or in cases where the mother's health is at risk. I know these are horrible situations and my heart goes out to those who have to deal with them. However, a life is a life and it is not our job to decide when to terminate life. That's God's job. If it's legal for women to get abortions in these situations, I can't stop them. They have the freedom to make that choice. I wish they wouldn't make the choice to terminate a life, but it's not my decision. However, I certainly do not want my tax dollars paying to support that decision. Look at the pictures of little Cameron on this blog and think about that.

2) This bill requires that all individuals purchase health insurance or else face a fine. Last I checked, this is a free country. What if I don't want to purchase health insurance? What if I decide I would rather take the risk and pay out of pocket for any injures or illness that I experience? I'm not saying that I would advise people to do this, but is it right to take away that option?

3) This bill says that insurance companies cannot deny coverage based on preexisting conditions. So, if a person breaks his leg and needs health care, he can go purchase a policy to help cover the cost. Then, when he is healthy again, he can cancel the policy. The problem is that people end up only paying monthly premiums when they are in need of health care and never when they're healthy. Right now the system works because everyone is continually paying into a pool of funds that are then used to cover the cost of submitted claims. If people aren't paying into the system on a regular basis because they know they can get coverage at any time, then the pool is not big enough to cover everything...then what happens? Who's going to pay? My guess is these costs will fall on the taxpayers. Is it right to use tax dollars to pay for a flawed system?

Many people may then ask the question: If we don't allow people access to coverage regardless of preexisting condition, then what happens if poor little Susie doesn't have coverage and gets sick? Should she be expected to pay for her health care costs on her own? YES! She took the risk and didn't get insured. Why should anyone else be obligated to pay for her care? I know it sounds harsh, but people need to be held accountable for their decisions.

In reality, our current system doesn't leave people out to dry in these situations. Every American has access to health care. In cases where a person doesn't have coverage and isn't able to pay, programs are available to help them out, and if worse come to worse they can visit an emergency room. The emergency room can't turn anyone away. Health care rates and taxes go up when this system is abused, but claiming that Americans don't have access to health care is completely inaccurate. So again I ask you, does it make sense to guarantee a person coverage regardless of preexisting conditions on the basis that they can't get care otherwise?

4) This bill will set up state-based exchanges for uninsured and self-employed individuals and small businesses to purchase insurance. Picture a DMV, but for health insurance...doesn't that sound nice? There would be funds available for states to set up these exchanges. Where would these funds come from? Most likely they would come from taxes, in other words you and me. Does this seem right?

5) I'm a little unclear about what exactly this bill is mandating for larger employers. I tried to look at the bill online to see, but it is too long and too confusing to figure out. From what I can gather, if large employers do not offer health care to their employees they will be required to pay a fee to employees who require government subsidies to purchase their coverage. If they don't, the employer will receive a hefty fine from the government each year. Why should a business owner be forced to offer health care or help fund an employees' individual health care plan? Health insurance is a benefit, an add on, an incentive. An employer should have the freedom to chose if and how they contribute towards their employees health insurance? Shouldn't they be allowed that flexibility? If an employee is unhappy with the benefits offered by their employer, they have the option of getting a job at another company. By no means are they stuck in a hopeless situation.

So what's this going to do to our economy? Businesses who can't afford these expenses on top of everything else are going have to either lay off employees, make pay cuts or, in some extreme situations, close their doors. Now tell me, does that seem like a way to help business prosper?

Like I said, the bill is over 2000 pages long, so this just brushes the surface. I just wish that Washington put a little more energy into actually listening to what Americans are saying. People are making fun of the "tea parties" but really, those are Americans just like you and me who want to be heard. Why on earth would they be completely ignored and/or antagonized? Our representatives were elected to do exactly that represent us, not decide what is right FOR us.

Don't get me wrong, I think there needs to be a change in our health care system to help get costs and rates under control. Health care is way too expensive and confusing right now and the way the insurance companies plays into the equation can definitely be improved. I just don't think creating a national system that puts the government in charge is the answer. I want Ryan and I to be able to call the shots for our family, I don't want decisions to be dictated to us by some bozo in Washington.

Ultimately, like everything else in life we have to put this all in God's hands and know that He is in charge. At the end of the day, He wins and that's the most important thing.

That's my two cents, take it or leave it. Sorry if I have offended anyone. I intended only to share my perspective, not to insult other opinions. You are welcome to have your own perspective. After all, this is a free country! :-)

Okay, detour complete, back to updates on the Volk family.

Happy Spring!

Cameron in one of her cute little spring outfits

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you took time to spell this stuff out. I haven't really been following or understanding any of it. I just see post after post on FB and can kind of tell what’s going on. Some for the Bill, some against. And knowing the people behind the post I can kind of tell what’s "right” and "wrong." I say that in quotes because right/wrong is obviously just my opinion. Anyway, I know I’m against the bill too. But like you I know God is in control. Thank God for His Supremacy.

Unknown said...

ummm can't believe I forgot to say..
Cameron is so adorable!
Enjoy her smallness, all too soon she'll be 6mths old!

andersons2002 said...

Yay for this post! One opinion...Don't apologize for possibly offending someone! This is YOUR blog and YOU can post whatever you want! If someone so strongly disagrees with something then they can stop reading it! Matt read it and loved it too! Call you tomorrow!

Ang

Annie Seeman said...

1. Love the post
2. Cameron looks huge in the bouncer!

REGINA said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Lora and Crew said...

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree somethings needed to change ... but this bill is WAY to drastic and the ramifications of it aren't understood by anyone. That's what scares me. It just doesn't seem like it's going to improve much.

Also, Love the pics of your little Angel! Give her a BIG kiss from the Bares...